Friday, September 24, 2010

Another Great Review for Jacky Atkins and her book " The Mysterious Beach Hut"

GW Sept 10 Beach Hut review

MU Jacky’s success is no mystery

Guildford Mother’s Union (MU) president Jacky Atkins is also a prolific short-story and poetry author, but this year saw her first novel published – The Mysterious Beach Hut, aimed at 8-year-olds and up. The Wey asked Abigail, 12, a young writer and local church choir member to review the book for us.

“The mystery is set during the modern school summer holidays (which is also when I read the book), with Holly, 12, and her sister Beth, 9, on a beach break at Brighton. Without giving too much away, they meet another, rather strange, little girl and end up mysteriously being transported in a time-travelling beach hut back to the summer of 1914 and the eve of the outbreak of war.

“Along the way, they find themselves muddled up in all sorts of extraordinary adventures and mysteries leading to an unexpected conclusion… oh, but I can’t say more, I really don’t want to spoil it for you. You’ll just have to read it for yourself.

“The truth is I really enjoyed the novel and would rate it a ‘must read’, and a nine out of ten! It says that it is suitable for ages 8-year-olds and up, but I think plenty of adults will enjoy it too!

“I actually read it all in one hot, sunny day while on holiday because it’s simply un-put-down-able! (Is that even a word? If not, it should be!). All the tension and plot twists and turns made me want to read on. I really wanted to find out what happened at the end and why everything had turned out the way it did – the book kept me guessing right to the end and it didn’t disappoint!

“There’s an interesting mix of historical events, fact and fiction - and writer Jacky Atkins uses a lot of really good describing words which made me feel like I was actually there experiencing what was happening. And being on a beach holiday myself while reading the book, I was just disappointed not to have my own fantastic beach hut!

My advice – get your own copy of the new book and sit down and lose yourself in an exciting mystery. I hope you’ll enjoy it just as much as I did”.


(blob)The Mysterious Beach Hut can be ordered from bookshops or online through www.amazon.co.uk priced £8 – delivered free. ISBN number: 978-1-60911-071-051250

(pullout quote)“I actually read it all in one day … it’s simply un-put-downable!”

Pic caption – Book reviewer Abigail, 12, read the ‘The Mysterious Beach Hut’ on her own summer beach holiday

- ends (450 words)

Posted via email from Strategic Book Marketing

No comments:

Post a Comment