Monday, August 2, 2010

Uta Christensen taking the world by storm

Amazon Optimization would like to commend author Uta Christensen on the reviews she has received for her book "Bed of Roses, Bed of Thorns".
 
 
To learn more about her book please browse the title on Amazon

 

 

 

 

 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the novel Bed of Roses, Bed of Thorns.  I found it easy and accessible and couldn’t wait to get back to it.  There are a number of reasons why I enjoyed it so much.  I found the intermingling of the past family stories of Katia, Zara, Ruth and Laura fascinating.  I as the reader was kept wanting to know more, so that I was reading late into the night.  Then there is the main character of Ulla.  She is charming and likable, a free spirit and endlessly curious about life.  What I particularly like is that, although she is not bound by convention or following the herd, she is nevertheless a good daughter, friend and hard worker.  I appreciated the development of the German pre-war and post-war history through Ulla and the extended family which leads to my next point.  My own history identifies very closely with that of the young protagonist.  We had similar experiences: father was away so I rarely saw him; I was ostracized by other children as a refugee in Germany and later as ‘an enemy child’ in England, just as Ulla was in Bachingen and later in Breitingen; I experienced all the bombings and deprivations that Ulla did; and there were many more similarities.

The author has beautifully captured historical details, tragic life stories and the development of a young person, whose resilience brings her through confusion to hope and excited aspiration.  I was wondering whether after the dream scene at the end of the novel, Ulla will manage to escape her demons and the past?  My intuition tells me that she will.

           Gisela Brownscombe

 

I had the wonderful occasion to meet the author while on vacation in Mexico.  Bed of Roses, Bed of Thorns was the perfect companion on the beach.  I lost my own life and became engrossed in the characters and stories in the book.  Ulla became me because my own childhood was so similar in so many ways.  This child character is so curious, free and independent, asking so many questions, yet knowing when to obey and accept orders and reprimands or even punishment for her own safety.  During the book, Ulla observed so much and gained so much knowledge of people and human conditions that she had fully made up her mind to leave her family as soon as she could. Their stories and experiences when shared can give us the courage to sail away on our own.  This novel was more than a beach read for me; it was a window into myself that allowed me to see how brave I was growing up.

Deborah Burns

 

The book is wonderful.  I immersed myself fully in the story and the atmosphere the author created.  I liked the way the author presented three major stories within the novel, going back a generation or two; and how those stories nourished and educated Ulla (the main character), satisfied her curiosity and desire for knowledge.  Naturally, the novel reminded me of my years as a child.  We were all very brave children as we lived through the war years and the aftermath.

Gisela Juengling

 

As soon as I had the novel in my hands, I immediately started reading and became immersed in it.  For me it is a page turner, and I commend the author for an intriguing and novel genre.  I kept looking forward to Aunt Lidia’s next episode told to the child, Ursula, about her family history.  Having lived through that particular time in history, the author depicted realistically the emotions and insecurities of families who lived in the country.  I admire the author’s perseverance, discipline, and imagination, not to mention the talent for putting it all together in readable form.                                           

            Elaine Smith

Best regards,

Ms. Kait Neese
Marketing Coach
Strategic Book Group
Strategic & Eloquent Books
www.StrategicBookGroup.com

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/?ref=logo

Posterous Blog:
http://strategicbookmarketing.posterous.com/

Posted via email from Strategic Book Marketing

No comments:

Post a Comment